Monday, September 22, 2008

Shutter Speed (week 2 of Class)

Ok boys and girls today's lesson is in Shutter speed!
Ok so shutter speed is really easy. The faster the number 1/1000 (as in 1/1000th of a second) for example the faster your camera's shutters open and close (faster the picture is taken). The slower the the number 1/60 the longer the shutter is open. I learned you can't go slower then 1/60 without a tripod---it becomes to blurry by body movement. So if you taking pictures of children running or sports you want a higher speed (1/1000 is good with no other adjustments).
My camera does go much higher and lower then these two speeds but you have to play with the ISO if you get faster or slower then these (I learned the hard way LOL). And there are many in between 1/60-1/100 you just have to play with. You will notice the longer the shutter is open the more light that gets into it and the over exposed the pictures gets.

Ok so here is (ISO at 1600 since I'm indoors):
1/1000 Shutter speed
1/60 Shutter Speed3'' shutter speed (I had to lay the camera down to take this clearly). And as you can see the ISO was so high (1600) that it let to much light in the picture. So you do have to adjust ISO if your Shutter speed is slow.
So then with that in mind here is a combo adjustment (yep I'm getting good enough to change TWO settings at once).

Shutter Speed is 3'' (3 seconds open) for all of these (and the one above).

800 ISO/3'' shutter speed400 ISO/3'' shutter speed200 ISO/3'' shutter speed

2 comments:

Amy, David, Cambria, and Baylen said...

I need you to live by me so you can teach me these things!!!

Angela said...

I am following a 12 week program online (free).....
http://www.twopeasinabucket.com/cg_display.asp?g=2&seed_id=26134